Category Archives: Tower work

Workshop updates and visit from England

Hi,

The coming updates I guess will mainly be involving the updates of the progress building the new workshop. I also have another problem regarding the 160m vertical where I need to change the lines and its urgent. I have temporary supported it by a wire line at 14m so it does not threat falling over the guy wires for the 160m tower, but some of the lines are really in bad shape and should have been replaced a few years ago. Now I have ordered plastic line from F2DX and will replace it.

SM2XJP also had visit from M3AFF and M0SHF for the second time. Now they stayed at my neighbours house which is about 3km from mine and spent some time helping me, eating good food and playing on the radio. It was very fun and I sure do hope they will come more times.

Inband work and new towers

I worked a lot before CQWW CW and managed to get most stuff operational. We had quite fun even though propagation’s sucked big time. We had 1/3 of the score from 2014 but the inband test was a success even though we had a bit of phase noise issues when both towers were beaming US. In most other directions the problems were surprisingly small. Especially on 40 and 80m there were no problems at all to come quite close to the run frequency.

SM2VTS called me a while ago and said he knew of four 14m high freestanding light towers, something I had been looking for for the planned move of the 80m 4-SQ. I gave them an offer for them and they accepted it. SM2UVU was very kind and said he could with help of his friend with a truck with crane, take them down and transport them up to SJ2W. They also had 16 pcs of Metal-halide lamps of 2000W each, I will put one or two up at SJ2W to light up the yard when needed. When SM2UVU arrived there he instantly said “These are not 14m, they are probably 20m” and he was correct. Kind of perfect for an 80m 4-SQ but they are almost too good for it, but since they are conical the only use for them except 4-SQ is a small 20m tower, which is not much use. I am almost starting to consider a 27-30m high vertical 4-SQ for 160m 😉

I need to update the site with the results from CQWW SSB and CQWW CW, but I have the scores at SJ2W. In the SSB part there were a guys of contesting “rookies” of mixed ages and even though conds were horrible they seemed to have fun.

Better late then never :)

I have a couple of big updates coming now. I have been so occupied working and on the spare time trying to get the station ready for CQWW CW. The inband stuff has been a lot of work but I did manage to finish it up pretty well before CQWW. We had some issues but it was solved and it worked quite well, a bit of noisy on 10-20m when both the stations were beaming US but on 80 and 40m there was really no problem at all which is interesting, since it was the other way around with the vertical.

Trip to SM2EKM and RX-array work

I spent a couple of evenings at SM2EKM last week helping him with some tower work. It should only have been one trip but since I managed to mess up it needed to be two. I was going to disconnect one of his 5el for 20m since he has got a problem with one of them and extend the cables down to the ground so he could work on them himself. Unfortunately I mixed up the cables and ended up attaching the two antennas together and the coax leading into the shack was left hanging 🙂 So I went back the day after and fixed that. We also concluded that the top 20m yagi has got an issue which needs to be fixed, this will however be done next year and I believe I can do it in the tower by tilting the yagi without needing to take it down to the ground.

I have also spent time working on the RX-array. I got most hardware installed such as preamps, ground rods, coax etc. I also got the RF-link tested and it switches the array properly so now all that is left is to install the cabinet and pull out the 300m of coax needed to reach the array.

It was also very nice to get a visit from SM3JLA and his girlfriend and we concluded that he should start coming up more often again, at least I did 🙂