Category Archives: Work weekend

July update 2019

Most of July was spent re-routing cables from the house to the new shack. It was a lot of work but I managed to get it done. I also got help a week by SG3P (SK3W) which is always nice and also SM2UVU came up and helped while Gunnar was here.

We also managed to fix the 40m 4-SQ. The control cable was re-routed to the Moskojärvi tower to hookup on that 40-lead cable. One of the vertical posts had been pulled up out of the ground a bit by the frost, so that the cable had pulled out of the vertical. Easy fix.

We also managed to get one radio up and running inside the new shack.


June update 2019

June was a lot of trying to pull cables for the new shack, adding the surge disconnect switches, repairing the tractor and making parts for friends and neighbours. I am hoping that I will be able to get the shack moved during my vacation which is 5 weeks beginning on July the 8th.

SM2UVU helped me changing the top guy lines of the 160m vertical since I don’t have the nerves to do it. I rather spend a day at 60m height in one of those towers compared to 1h in the 160m vertical. I changed the lower set last year but now I discovered the top rope I had was not UV-resistant which I thought it was…so we were forced to change it now. Now it is guyed at around 25, 17 9m which should be sufficient enough.

January update 2019

The month of January was mainly getting stuff organized in the workshop. I built a material rack to get all material from the floor so I can use that space better. I also managed to get the CNC to mill some and also tried exporting some code from Fusion 360 to use on it and it seem to work properly (spoiler, it does work).

I also spent some time trying to fix the 80m vertical for the 4-SQ but in the end I gave this up because of my energy being low and the snow that came made it very hard. So this will be done in the spring instead. The station is undergoing a makeover anyway since everything is being moved out into the new building.

Progress in December 2018

The month of December I spent some time trying to get more organized in the workshop but it is a lot of work left to be done for that. I also got most of the ventilation done, some insulating to be done upstairs.

Another big milestone was getting the CNC mill functional and being able to jog it! This is very big benefit to have, especially when we start building the planned 10m monster stack to come in a couple of years.