Rotor repair

Last weekend I spent some time at SJ2W fixing the rotor for the Moskojärvi tower and also added some cover for the gear to the Military tower. I ran out of material though but I hope that I can finish it up this coming weekend. The moskojärvi repair went great and now it does turn a bit slower which is nice. Still could need to put an VFD on the two 60m towers to have soft start/stop on them though.

SA2CLC worked quite some hours in SAC SSB and did very well and I think he enjoyed it.

This coming weekend I hope to get more work done on the inband tower electronics and maybe also some on the control for the RX-array. That is however lower priority.

RX-array QRV

This weekend I got great help from SA2KNG and SA2FDR which was highly appreciated. The winter season is coming quickly and there is still some stuff that need to be finished up before the winter, but this weekend we managed to get some of that crossed of the list.

I went down already on Thursday and started working on some stuff on Friday. I managed to get the cabinet for the RX-array mounted and also all hoses clamped and hooked up. I also put 75m of RG-6TS through 16x2mm water hose so that the cable leading to the RX array is protected from animals. The rest (about 270m) hangs in the air in the trees leading up to the beverage cross point on the north side of the QTH.

On Saturday I started going out with the first 75m of coax to the RX array and hooked that up. Then I pulled two more RG-6TS cables over the road, so now we have 2 pcs of RG-6 and 5 pcs of RG-58 over the road. I had some problems with this but managed after a few hours. Then SA2FDR and SA2KNG showed up and we pulled out the rest of the coax and managed to get everything connected and it all worked at once. I did some tests and the F/B looks promising on the array but conditions turned really poor so I have not been able to really test it out. The switching of the directions is currently done through the laptop but I will finish up some programming so that I can switch it through he openASC system instead.

The dishwasher broke a few weeks ago and I told SA2FDR that either they do the dishes on Sunday or they fix the dishwasher, so they spent a few hours on Saturday evening/night and managed to fix it which I am very thankful of. I made them pie, I need to keep the guys helping happy so they come back :)

On Sunday we went out to the inband site and mounted the cabinet which hold batteries, antenna switching and the control electronics. I would not have been able to do it myself since the screw in anchors are tough to get down in sandy/stony ground. It turned out great so now I just need to finish up the last programming and put the 868 MHz link up in the tower, so we get the antennas switchable and rotatable. Left to do at the inband site after that is putting up an 80m dipole.

It was a very productive weekend and we had fun! The sun is still warm but it was very windy this weekend with cold winds, so it was a bit of a struggle to be outside.

Next weekend I hope to get the Moskojärvi tower rotating again, doing some more work on the inband tower electronics and maybe work on the snow cover for the Military tower.

Trip to SM2EKM and RX-array work

I spent a couple of evenings at SM2EKM last week helping him with some tower work. It should only have been one trip but since I managed to mess up it needed to be two. I was going to disconnect one of his 5el for 20m since he has got a problem with one of them and extend the cables down to the ground so he could work on them himself. Unfortunately I mixed up the cables and ended up attaching the two antennas together and the coax leading into the shack was left hanging :) So I went back the day after and fixed that. We also concluded that the top 20m yagi has got an issue which needs to be fixed, this will however be done next year and I believe I can do it in the tower by tilting the yagi without needing to take it down to the ground.

I have also spent time working on the RX-array. I got most hardware installed such as preamps, ground rods, coax etc. I also got the RF-link tested and it switches the array properly so now all that is left is to install the cabinet and pull out the 300m of coax needed to reach the array.

It was also very nice to get a visit from SM3JLA and his girlfriend and we concluded that he should start coming up more often again, at least I did :)

SM2OAN, RX-array and carpentry

Since we hadn’t finished up all work at SM2OAN I ended up going up once more. We first pulled up the 20m yagi (5el) into position and after that the 5el for 15m. When this was done we removed the tram wire and we lifted the 2el 40m a bit higher (as high as we could). The work has gone very well and I believe SM2OAN is now very happy about his setup, especially getting the 2el 40m added plus getting a stack on 15m as well. I also built a stackbox for him so that he can switch it. After we were finsished, we went to SK2HG since they had a meeting and it was very nice to meet some friends.

I have also spent quite a lot of time at SJ2W lately. I am trying to work in hours so that I can go down on Thursdays which gives me a whole day more. Normal weekends are way too short but this gives me another day. I’ve done a lot of work on the Hi-Z RX array building Bias-T to get DC power there, finishing up the RF-link to switch it etc. I used 16mm water tubing to protect the RG-6 coax going from the cabinet in the middle out to the verticals and I will have about 50-70m of it so that I can have the coax on the ground close to the RX antenna. Further away I will put the coax up in the trees as it protects it better.

I have also built some more protection for the rotors of the different towers, the military tower still need some work before its finished but I believe I’ve done pretty good progress on it at least.