Category Archives: Tower work - Page 2

Better late then never :)

I have a couple of big updates coming now. I have been so occupied working and on the spare time trying to get the station ready for CQWW CW. The inband stuff has been a lot of work but I did manage to finish it up pretty well before CQWW. We had some issues but it was solved and it worked quite well, a bit of noisy on 10-20m when both the stations were beaming US but on 80 and 40m there was really no problem at all which is interesting, since it was the other way around with the vertical.

Trip to SM2EKM and RX-array work

I spent a couple of evenings at SM2EKM last week helping him with some tower work. It should only have been one trip but since I managed to mess up it needed to be two. I was going to disconnect one of his 5el for 20m since he has got a problem with one of them and extend the cables down to the ground so he could work on them himself. Unfortunately I mixed up the cables and ended up attaching the two antennas together and the coax leading into the shack was left hanging 🙂 So I went back the day after and fixed that. We also concluded that the top 20m yagi has got an issue which needs to be fixed, this will however be done next year and I believe I can do it in the tower by tilting the yagi without needing to take it down to the ground.

I have also spent time working on the RX-array. I got most hardware installed such as preamps, ground rods, coax etc. I also got the RF-link tested and it switches the array properly so now all that is left is to install the cabinet and pull out the 300m of coax needed to reach the array.

It was also very nice to get a visit from SM3JLA and his girlfriend and we concluded that he should start coming up more often again, at least I did 🙂

SM2OAN, RX-array and carpentry

Since we hadn’t finished up all work at SM2OAN I ended up going up once more. We first pulled up the 20m yagi (5el) into position and after that the 5el for 15m. When this was done we removed the tram wire and we lifted the 2el 40m a bit higher (as high as we could). The work has gone very well and I believe SM2OAN is now very happy about his setup, especially getting the 2el 40m added plus getting a stack on 15m as well. I also built a stackbox for him so that he can switch it. After we were finsished, we went to SK2HG since they had a meeting and it was very nice to meet some friends.

I have also spent quite a lot of time at SJ2W lately. I am trying to work in hours so that I can go down on Thursdays which gives me a whole day more. Normal weekends are way too short but this gives me another day. I’ve done a lot of work on the Hi-Z RX array building Bias-T to get DC power there, finishing up the RF-link to switch it etc. I used 16mm water tubing to protect the RG-6 coax going from the cabinet in the middle out to the verticals and I will have about 50-70m of it so that I can have the coax on the ground close to the RX antenna. Further away I will put the coax up in the trees as it protects it better.

I have also built some more protection for the rotors of the different towers, the military tower still need some work before its finished but I believe I’ve done pretty good progress on it at least.

Another adventure to SM2OAN

A couple of weekends ago I went to SM2OAN so we could do some tower work in his 36m tower. His 40m 40-2CD broke this winter so he has built a fullsize 2el yagi that would replace the 40-2CD. I went there on Friday and we managed to rig the tram line and also changed the 5 GHz internet link that was damaged in a lightning strike this summer. I also tilted the 30m yagi so we could get by it without needing to lower that one to the ground as well. This QTH is amazing and with good weather an awesome place to be at.

After a night of rest and a great breakfast SM2GCQ had showed up to help us out. We took the 5el for 20m down and then continued by moving the 6el for 6m down to a lower position to make room for another 5el for 15m to get a 5/5el stack also on that band. After lunch I went up again and we took down the 40-2CD which went fairly well even though things take so much time when doing them in a tower, and I had a few issues but it eventually came down.

After dinner we tried to lift the 2el 40m and it is the same type of design as my inband 2el except different tapering (used yagi) and luckily it was tuned pretty much perfect. He wanted a bit lower than my yagi so it was resonating at 7.08 or so and 1.5:1 on the low side of the band and 1.9:1 at 7.2 MHz which was about what we aimed for.

After I came down from attaching the top 2el for 40m I was quite tired and got a nice cold beer when touching the ground. On Sunday the weather was way too windy to do any more work so we still have the job of lifting the 5el 20m and 5el 15m before we can call the work done. We also will lift the top 40m yagi about 1 meter higher after the tram wire has been removed.